Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Frost/Nixon

I finally saw the movie Frost/Nixon tonight, it was phenomenal. Frank Langella gives a truly affective performance. He gives a creepy, golem-esque shade to Tricky Dick, one that makes him seem like he is about to eat puppies. I was almost reminded of Heath Ledger's performance of Joker in the Dark Knight.

Especially in light of our All The President's Men discussion, it makes the movie even more riveting. I am very curious to see the real interviews because I feel there was probably a lot of Hollywoodization of this particular story.

PS: a little history on the term "The Fourth Estate." Thanks wikipedia. And on that note, the encyclopedias are getting screwed too- by that new fangled contraption called the internet. As are travel agents. Just ask the candle makers, horse-and-buggy drivers and whalers what havoc new technology can bring.

PPS: An interesting op-ed today in the LA Times by Tim Rutten about newspapers and anti-trust exemptions

1 comment:

  1. So I bet you like the term "Fourth Estate" just because it was coined by Edmund Burke!
    And, compliments for Wikipedia??? My how you've changed!

    ReplyDelete